It started with these birds yelling at me for putting them on an ordinary page with simple doodles. In defending their dignity, they came up with some impressive insults: troglodyte*, ignoramus, cretin, idiot.
Then I opened my email and found the word for the day: ultracrepidarian, or “one who gives opinions beyond one’s area of expertise.”
I could use that one, way too often, as well as these.
- Snollygoster, an opportunistic, power-hungry person
- Blatherskite, one who talks foolishly at length
- Cacafuego, one who brags too much
- Mythomane: one having a tendency to exaggerate or lie
- Coccydynia: literally, a pain in the butt
So next time someone offends you, try using an uncommon insult. That should really piss them off.
*Troglodyte: a cave dweller from prehistoric times, or a person who acts like one.