I really wanted to take Seth Apter’s class, 52 Card Pickup, but I didn’t make it to any of the retreats where he was teaching. So I decided to try it myself.
One of my more brilliant ideas, I have to admit. The great thing about a card is that it’s not a Big Deal. You don’t have to prepare, get ready, or think much about it. You just pick up a card, try out different approaches, and surprise yourself (the best part of the creative process).
Some of the things I’ve tried so far:
- Sanding and painting the card
- Covering with scraps of paper
- Using white or black gesso (primer)
- Punching holes to expose part of the card
- Gluing images from books and magazines
- Sewing on top
- Adding stickers, beads and other embellishments
- Coating with sealant or glazes
And I’ve just scratched the surface. Scratching? Hmmmm, that gives me another idea…