Notice that each member has a laptop and cellphone. If I tune into the constant chatter in my mind, I can hear all the dumb things my inner voices are saying. But I never thought about naming them till last week, when I read Soul Collage by Seena B. Frost. Now I can’t think of anything else.
Frost’s book explains how to make and use Soul Collage Cards as guides for life’s journey. You create four “suits,” beginning with the Committee: the psychological aspects of your soul. In other words, the inner dialogue.
Who are these characters, and what are they saying? Here’s what I’ve uncovered so far:
- The Critic. “You suck. Your work sucks. What a loser!”
- The Wounded Child. “What about ME, ME, ME?”
- The Little Sister. “I just want to play!”
- The Princess. “I want stuff and I deserve to have it.”
- The Rebel. “Question authority, and while you’re at it, break the rules.”
- The Existentialist. “What’s the point?”
- The Coach. “Be kind. Be grateful. Focus on your life’s path.”
- The Mystic. “Awe and wonder are present in the moment. Be here now.”
I could go on. And on. How about the Fighter? The Nurturer? The Bitch? The hard part, at least for me, isn’t identifying committee members; it’s limiting membership to the most influential.
How about you? Who’s playing in your mind right now? Who was there yesterday? Last week? Please tell me I’m not alone in this…